Tuesday, April 24, 2012

A Day in the Wild

The girls are on their last week of holiday, and we have been blessed with a week away in Sun City. Sun City is a holiday resort in the North West Province of South Africa. It borders the Pilanesberg National Game Reserve.

With today being overcast, we all voted to spend the morning driving in the Park.



With her sisters in the back of the bakkie, Kenzie had her Daddy all to herself!


Okay, ready when you are! Let's go and see us some game


Oh wow! Waterbuck!


Oh, you gotta be kidding me! A flipping traffic jam!
Yup we sat in the jam for close to 20 minutes, seems like there were a herd of elephant, taking a rest break on the road.


Oh my, when they eventually cleared the road, we were treated to such a special spot! The herd was of the Mommas and babies!






We also got to see my favourite (^^,)
I love the gerries, they are so graceful...sigh. My heart smiled when we met this fella


I love the Pilansburg. It holds such a special place in my heart. When we were younger, we would often holiday just outside the park. This is where I discovered my love for birds. I have some of my happiest memories, sitting in the back of the car, with Janni and Mom and Dad in the front. I was always in charge of the bird book. I had the important task of documenting our spots :)

I also had my very first driving lesson, in the park. It was my dad's green BMW. He loved that car. He was so very patient with me, until I almost drove it into a throne bush. Ever so 'gently' I was encouraged to get out, and let him continue with the driving!! Heeheee


I've come a long way :)
Now it was my turn to take over the driving while Ian had a rest.


He must have known that there would be trouble up ahead...
Not long after I had taken the wheel, we were met by a rogue bull elephant. These bulls have a bad rep in the park. They are known to be very aggressive!
Well this chap thought that it would be fun to walk in the road, and dared any of us to get in his way. With his ears flapping, he walked towards us. Well if you know me, you will know that my reversing skills are a little lack luster... heeee
I reversed to just under a kilometer, until he decided that he had had enough of walking on the road!
Whew!!


On the way out of the park, we were met with another traffic jam, also caused by the ellies. Looking over my shoulder to the water we saw about 3 or 4 herd coming in to drink!
It was an absolutely wonderful sight!
Along with the birds!! Look at that sight



...sigh...

What a special morning! And what fun :)

I think that when I can get my paints all sorted out I am going to paint this scene.


It makes my heart smile.

I'm sure that when our Daddy looks at us, His heart must also smile.

Have a wonderful day
xx

No comments:

Post a Comment